In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Friday, November 22, 2013

Roasted Cauliflower with Cumin and Pomegranate


Every year when the first pomegranates of the season show up at the grocery store I can't resist buying one. A few pomegranate seeds sprinkled on a dish really adds a festive touch. I like to use the water bowl method to de-seed my pomegranates, but this (ahem) spanking method seems to be making the rounds on the internet these days. Have you tried either method, or maybe both? Which do you prefer? Do you have another method for de-seeding a pomegranate? I'd love to hear about it. Leave me a message in the comments.
I like to keep the seeds in a small bowl in the refrigerator, that way I can quickly add them to salads or even on my morning granola or oatmeal. A simple winter fruit salad is especially beautiful with pomegranate seeds.
This roasted cauliflower recipe is one I have been meaning to make for a long time. I love roasted vegetables in the winter. I can go for months without roasting a single vegetable and then the cold weather sets in and roasted vegetables are the only thing I want to eat. They seem to show up with every meal. I had never roasted cauliflower before and I have to say that it might be the only way I eat cauliflower from now on. It has a wonderful nutty flavor that you don't get when you steam it or eat it raw. This dish makes a nice lunch, or a great side dish with roast chicken, it would also be a great accompaniment to Indian food as well.

Amazon.com
Roasted Cauliflower with Cumin and Pomegranate
adapted from Cook This Now by Melissa Clark

1 large head of cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Yogurt, Chopped Fresh Mint, and Pomegranate Seeds, for serving

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium bowl, combine the cauliflower with the olive oil, cumin seeds, salt and pepper.  Place cauliflower onto a large baking sheet and roast 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender and browned in spots. Add a pinch of salt to the yogurt. Sprinkle cauliflower with mint and pomegranate seeds, top with yogurt and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails