In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Cinnamon Oatmeal Biscuits

I'm still researching that perfect cross between a scone and a cinnamon roll. This is very hard work, not only for me but my  taste testers. They cry out and beg me not to make them eat another warm, light, flaky, cinnamon filled breakfast pastry. I continue on with the punishment, I'm cruel like that! These things are torture. I hope you can all sympathize.
Cinnamon Oatmeal Biscuits
adapted slightly from Quaker Oats

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup oats, no instant
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter or margarine, chilled and cut into pieces
3/4 cup  milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

GLAZE
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3 to 4 teaspoons orange juice, coffee, or milk

Heat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
In large bowl, combine flour, oats, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, baking powder and salt; mix well. Cut in butter with pastry blender or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl, combine milk, egg and vanilla; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir with fork or rubber spatula until dry ingredients are moistened. In small bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar with the pecans and cinnamon; mix well. Sprinkle evenly over dough in bowl; gently stir batter to swirl in cinnamon mixture (Do not blend completely.) Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.

Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack; cool 5 minutes. In small bowl, combine powdered sugar and enough orange juice or other liquid for desired consistency; mix until smooth. Drizzle over top of warm scones. Serve warm.

3 comments:

  1. These look delish -- I'm on a bit of a cinnamon kick myself & I can wait to give these a try! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Avalee. Let me know how they turn out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will have to torture my family with this recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails