In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Cranberry Applesauce

About a week ago I picked up a half dozen Jonagold apples from the grocery store. They looked good, but I am always wary of grocery store produce. I have been burned by peaches that actually smell like peaches in the grocery store, but once you get them home you realize they are just rubbery orbs that smell like peaches! I think everyone in Fairbanks has been burned by this phenomenon as I always see people cautiously putting produce into their carts. One day I couldn't help notice a guy out of the corner of my eye. He was watching as I sniffed the peaches, he picked one up and smelled it and then noticed I was watching him! Finally, he just asks "What am I supposed to be smelling?".  I told him it should smell like a peach! Anyway, these apples seemed as though they might actually be too shiny to be good. Finally, I decided to do something with them before they just rot and I would never know. I started with making mini apple pies (that post later), then realized I had way too many apples. Before adding the cornstarch to the pie recipe I dumped about 1/3 of the ingredients in a saucepan added about 1/4 cup cranberries and filled the pot just barely to the top of the apples with water and put it on the stove to simmer. I kind of forgot about it while I was making the pies.  When I came back to it I magically had applesauce. I decided I wanted some chunks, so I added a few more apples and cooked it for another 5 minutes. I had some for breakfast this morning and it was really good. So good, I went and bought some more Jonagold apples at Fred Meyer this afternoon. When I went in the store I did not hesitate and immediately picked out six more apples. I noticed another woman out of the corner of my eye confidently purchasing the same apples as I walked away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails